A minor electric shock is something to be worried about. A shock – whether labelled as “minor” or “major” – is dangerous and can cause serious injury. When a so-called minor shock results in an electricity traveling through a person’s body, medical attention should be sought immediately.
What is a minor electric shock?
A minor electric shock is still an electric shock. Calling it “minor” can be misleading because it is not a scientifically-based designation. It is more anecdotal and could mean different things to different people.
However, what everyone understands and agrees on is that an electric shock occurs when a person comes into contact with a source of electricity, which directly or indirectly sends an electrical current through the person’s body.
What to do after a minor electric shock
Seeking prompt medical attention after a minor electric shock is crucial to ensuring that injuries are properly diagnosed and promptly treated.
To determine what injuries may have been caused, doctors in the Emergency Room will may order any or all of the following tests:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) to check the status of your heart’s functioning
- Use a heart monitor to track your heart’s rhythm
- Run a blood count
- Test blood or urine or both for muscle enzymes which, if present, would indicate significant muscle injury
- X-rays to look for fractures or dislocations
- CT scan
Severity of injury
Regardless of whether it’s called “minor” or “major,” the damage and harm that a shock can cause will depend on several factors:
- How much electrical current or voltage is involved
- What the amperage is of the electric current that’s involved
- The pathway that the electric current takes in a person’s body (e.g., through the heart, muscles, head, eyes and/or chest, or hand-to-hand)
- How long the victim had contact with the electrical source
- What the health and/or medical condition of the victim was prior to the shock
- Whether the electrical current involved was direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC)
Injuries from a minor shock
Sometimes people will refer to a shock as “minor” because its damaging effects are not immediately apparent and visible to the eye such as in the form of burns, paralysis, loss of consciousness or broken bones.
This is wrong and it could be very dangerous for the electric shock victim.
The reality is that many of the serious injuries that can result from a shock are not necessarily visible to the eye and, thus, could go undiagnosed and untreated if it is assumed that a person has suffered only a “minor” shock.
Additionally, it is extremely common for electric shock victims to experience delayed electric shock symptoms, including having the symptoms of a serious injury being “masked” or overshadowed by symptoms associated with a less serious condition.
Serious electrical injuries include:
- Cardiac arrest and/or arrhythmia and/or fibrillation of the heart
- Heart muscle damage
- Brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- Memory loss
- Hearing loss
- Respiratory failure
- Vision and speech problems
Need help from an experienced electrocution lawyer?
If you or someone you love is a victim of serious personal injury or death caused by electricity, please call us toll free at (800) 548-0043 for a free consultation.